Alternate Test Names:
BCR-ABL p210, BCR-ABL Mbcr
This real time quantitative (RQ) PCR assay is performed on RNA extracted from fresh bone marrow or peripheral blood specimens. Results are reported using the International Scale, allowing for ready assessment of major molecular response (MMR). This test is indicated in the following settings:
• To confirm the diagnosis of CML and ALL in new patients whose blood count suggests the diagnosis of a chronic myeloproliferative disorder or ALL.
• To monitor response to therapy in ALL.
• To monitor response to therapy in CML: In Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), RQ-BCR-ABL Mbcr PCR is recommended to be performed on a peripheral blood specimen in every new patient prior to therapy and then afterwards at 3 month intervals to monitor patient responsiveness to anti-tyrosine kinase therapy. Once complete cytogenetic remission is achieved BCR-ABL Mbcr transcript monitoring can be reduced to every 12 months.
Type: Reverse Transcription PCR, Quantitative
CPT Code(s): 81206 (reference only; CPTs may vary)
Turnaround Time: Within 4-8 business days of receipt
Schedule: Monday (run and analyzed same day)
• Specimen MUST be received within 48 hrs of collection
• Peripheral blood, Preferred: 5 ml in EDTA (purple top) / Acceptable: 5 ml in sodium heparin (green top) - OR -
• Bone marrow aspirate, Preferred: 1-2 ml in EDTA (purple top) / Acceptable: 1-2 ml in sodium heparin (green top)