Alternate Test Names:
BCR-ABL p190, BCR-ABL mbcr
This real time quantitative (RQ) PCR assay is performed on RNA extracted from fresh bone marrow or peripheral blood specimens. Results are reported as a ratio of p190 transcript to ABL1 transcript. This test is indicated in the following settings:
• To confirm the diagnosis of CML and ALL in new patients whose blood count suggests the diagnosis of a chronic myeloproliferative disorder or ALL.
• To monitor response to therapy in ALL.
• To monitor response to therapy in CML: In Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), RQ-BCR-ABL mbcr PCR is recommended to be performed on a peripheral blood specimen in every new patient prior to therapy and then afterwards at 3 month intervals to monitor patient responsiveness to anti-tyrosine kinase therapy. Once complete cytogenetic remission is achieved BCR-ABL mbcr transcript monitoring can be reduced to every 12 months.
Type: Reverse Transcription PCR, Quantitative
CPT Code(s): 81207 (reference only; CPTs may vary)
Turnaround Time: Within 4-8 business days of receipt
Schedule: Monday (run and analyzed same day)
• Specimen MUST be received within 48 hrs of collection
• Peripheral blood, Preferred: 5 ml in EDTA (purple top) / Acceptable: 5 ml in sodium heparin (green top) - OR -
• Bone marrow aspirate, Preferred: 1-2 ml in EDTA (purple top) / Acceptable: 1-2 ml in sodium heparin (green top)